The port town of Magadan in eastern Siberia was first established in 1929 as a concentration camp. Under the Soviet regime, it was the principal center of a regional labor camp system and the port of entry for thousands of deported victims. Until 1991, the area was a strict military exclusion zone.
Almost 20 years ago, a Carmelite convent was founded just outside of Florida, a city in southern Uruguay. Twelve Carmelite sisters live there today, practicing perpetual prayer in accordance with the rule of their foundress, St. Teresa of Avila. The community continues to attract young women, who are interested in its atmosphere of holiness and the life of prayer.
The Sisters of Saint Teresa of the Child Jesus is an African congregation founded in 1929. Today, it has 168 fully professed sisters and ministers in the southern African countries of Malawi and Zambia. Amazingly, the congregation continues to grow, thanks to the interest and faith of young African women.