More Nigerian Catholic school students freed by kidnappers
There are hopeful signs that the remaining students who were kidnapped from a Nigerian Catholic school last month will be home for Christmas.

The Diocese of Kontagora, in the west-central State of Niger, confirmed the release of “the second batch” of those abducted from St. Mary’s Catholic Primary and Secondary Schools in Papiri November 21.
“We are profoundly grateful to the Federal Government of Nigeria, the Niger State Government, the security agencies, and all other partners whose efforts and interventions contributed to the safe release of the victims,” said the diocese in a statement on Sunday. “We also extend our sincere appreciation to the parents, guardians, clergy, religious communities, humanitarian organizations, and the wider public for their prayers, support, and solidarity throughout this challenging period.”
But a subsequent statement, issued on Monday, urged caution, saying the students and staff “are yet to be released to us.” That statement from the local Church hoped that the release would take place by Tuesday.
The Associated Press, however, quoted Niger State police spokesperson Wasiu Abiodun as saying 130 abductees had been released. In addition, a spokesperson for Nigerian President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, Bayo Onanuga said in a post on X that the “remaining 130 schoolchildren abducted” have been released. Onanuga, a former media executive in Nigeria, included in his post two photos of the children on a bus.
The remaining 130 schoolchildren abducted by terrorists at St Mary’s Catholic School in Papiri, Niger State, on November 21, have now been released. They are expected to arrive in Minna on Monday and rejoin their parents for the Christmas celebration.
— Bayo Onanuga, OON, CON (@aonanuga1956) December 21, 2025
One hundred were released… pic.twitter.com/tqiK4bR80r
He said the released abductees were to arrive in Minna, the Niger state capital, on Monday and rejoin their parents for Christmas. “The freedom of the schoolchildren followed a military intelligence driven operation,” Onanuga said.
35 still missing?
More than 300 pupils and 12 staff members were taken during a violent, pre-dawn attack on the school on November 21. Locals blame armed gangs that target schools and travelers in kidnappings for ransoms across Nigeria’s conflict-battered north. No group has claimed responsibility. Fifty pupils managed to escape and return to their families, according to the diocese.
One hundred of the captives – 99 students and one staff member — were released December 9, leaving 165.
The new release would seem to leave 35 abductees still being held. But Sunday Dare, another spokesperson for Tinubu, said on X that all are now free.
When asked about the 35 unaccounted for schoolchildren and missing teachers, Abiodun, the police spokesperson, told The Associated Press, “Further details will be communicated.”
–John Burger