Priest warns of ‘guerrilla warfare’ as dozens killed by suicide bombers

A priest has warned that terrorists are “sneaking” into villages after a suspected suicide attack in northeast Nigeria resulted in multiple deaths.

Father Joseph Fidelis, from the Diocese of Maiduguri, told Catholic charity Aid to the Church in Need (ACN) that attacks by extremists had been happening in nearby villages for two weeks before a devastating attack on March 16, which saw 28 killed.

Fr. Fidelis said, “On Sunday night, they attempted to infiltrate the town, but the military sighted them, and there was heavy gunfire and they were repelled. But by the 16th, a few of their advanced party were already in town planning the attack in the three places.”

From an ACN trip to Nigeria in April 2024

The first explosion was at the entrance of the teaching hospital, while the second and third followed a few minutes later at the popular Monday Market and nearby Post Office business hub, both located about two and a half miles from the hospital.

In addition to the 25 deaths, at least 108 were injured by the orchestrated bombings that occurred at 7:30 P.M., when crowds were out, having finished Ramadan fasts. According to Bishop John Bakeni, it was confirmed that three Christians were killed in the blasts and at least six are in hospital.

Fr. Fidelis said those responsible for the bombings were members of Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP), a cross-border jihadist group with roots in the state.

He said, “They take a guerilla approach to their infiltration. They behave like normal people, getting into cars in normal dress. They used improvised devices they probably prepared in the town. … In one way, we give credit to the police, as things would have been a bit lax, as people were returning home as it was time to break the Ramadan fast. The terrorists sneak in. Police make the effort, but they sneak in through the cracks. Borno police confirmed that the preliminary investigation revealed that the incidents were carried out by ‘suspected suicide bombers.’”

ACN is always the first to help us

They added that an investigation was under way to establish the identity of the attackers and that “normalcy” had returned to the village.

Fr. Fidelis said, “Normalcy hasn’t returned. The post office is usually like a central bus station, but people are avoiding it – they have to go through back alleys, and they are afraid to go out. People are scared for their lives. Even without the government imposing curfew, they are not going out.”

He said attacks in villages, including Ngoshe and Pulka, had pushed around 3,000 internally displaced people (IDP) into Maiduguri.

The priest added, “This makes it more difficult for security to make checks, as they have to stop and search everybody. It’s like guerilla warfare and difficult to control.”

The rise in IDPs has brought added complications. Fr. Fidelis said, “As more and more people are running for their lives and displaced, it’s becoming more chaotic. Most of the time when such things are happening, people run to the churches. We are trying to provide food, shelter, makeshift toilets, and tents. We ask for your prayers and solidarity. ACN is always the first to help us. They help us with widows, orphans, and catechists. We are always grateful. We appreciate what you do so much.”

– Nathalie Raffray